As a mega-fan of all the previous Marvel Universe movies, I am always excited with each installment. CAPTAIN MARVEL has been on my radar for about a year for a few reasons.
Reasons I Wanted to See CAPTAIN MARVEL:
- Marvel Universe movies over the last 10 years have really stepped up in all-around PG-13+ entertainment: action, comedy, adventure, and intrigue.
- Plot-point Breadcrumbs from previous Marvel Universe movies were leading up to this installment, to flesh out major pieces in the story-line and characters. I have been eagerly awaiting this continuation especially since 2018, AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR and ANT-MAN AND THE WASP.
- Captain Marvel is a strong female superhero, in our predominantly male-driven world. It is refreshing and encouraging to watch Marvel [and specifically BLACK PANTHER (2018)] introduce wonderfully confident and admirable female characters. I am always looking for women who uphold role-model qualities for my impressionable daughter.
- Because I am not an avid comic book reader, most of my knowledge is from the recent movies and TV series. Therefore, all cliffhanger endings have been a mystery and excruciating while I wait for the next movie!
- Actor and Director casting have been fantastic with the movies. I knew that this crew would put together a good time.
Such an awesome collection of actors: Brie Larson (ROOM/2015), Samuel L. Jackson (ANYTHING in his resume), Jude Law (have loved him since GATTACA/1997), Annette Bening (whew, cannot be type-casted), Clark Gregg (COULSON!!)… need I say more??!!!
Can someone enjoy watching CAPTAIN MARVEL without seeing the other Marvel movies?
My niece is interested in this movie, but has only seen a handful of the recent 10-year journey of films and television series revealing each layer of Stan Lee’s Marvel Universe. I encouraged her to watch this movie, because CAPTAIN MARVEL introduces a new hero to the Avengers superhero group, and could be enjoyed as a stand-alone movie.
Although CAPTAIN MARVEL is definitely interconnected and pivotal in the overall Marvel Universe, this movie is not like walking into HARRY POTTER PART FOUR and being completely confused by everyone and everything. The more story background you have, the deeper your appreciation and enjoyment will be.
What is CAPTAIN MARVEL?
CAPTAIN MARVEL is the origin story of Carol Danvers, a former US Air Force fighter pilot and member of the elite team ‘Starforce’. The action-adventure sci-fi story is captivating, as we follow this woman along her journey to discover the truth about her unique past.
My husband and 14-year old daughter are going to watch the movie this weekend. I cannot wait to hear what they think! Especially my daughter. She is growing into quite the teenage movie critic!
According to Stella Rating: Family Viewing Disclaimer (1/low – 5/high scale)
CAPTAIN MARVEL is appropriately rated PG-13. As a Marvel movie, I fully expected the entertainment to satisfy ages 13+. The MPAA rating has been assigned for “sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive language”.
Scenes include: an autopsy of a shape-shifting alien; detailed/skin-tight suits on both men and women; several fight sequences that end in death with little blood showing (human red and alien blue); plane, car and spacecraft crashes that end with death and injuries. Therefore, I give CAPTAIN MARVEL the following rating:
- 1 – SEX/NUDITY
- 3 – VIOLENCE/GORE
- 3 – PROFANITY
CAPTAIN MARVEL arrives in theaters everywhere this weekend! Tickets to CAPTAIN MARVEL are currently on sale everywhere tickets are sold.
For the more pics, clips, activity pages and movie news, check back here often with me at According to Stella as well as Like and Follow CAPTAIN MARVEL at: Facebook * Twitter * Instagram * Official Website
In traditional Marvel Studios fashion, enjoy this ‘rolling credits bonus’, illustrating how well Brie Larson/’Captain Marvel’ and Samuel L. Jackson/’Nick Fury’ get along: