Sit right back and hear a tale of Captain Jack Sparrow and a few more Pirates on an adventure along the deep blue seas. Enjoy my spoiler-free, family-friendly review of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Lies.
Is this PG-13 rated movie a good fit for your family? Here is the official trailer to give you a taste for the overall feel of the movie:
In this chapter of the Pirates of the Caribbean saga, the story begins with a few situations:
- Captain Jack Sparrow is down on his luck. His run-down ship and unsuccessful pirating causes his crew to give up and move on. Now, all he has left is the rest of his bottle of rum.
- Will Turner is stuck under the sea, within his ghastly curse. We meet his son, Henry Turner, who has spent his entire life seeking a way to break the curse and bring his father home.
- Captain Barbossa is bathing in his opulent treasure-decorated man-cave. Until… he hears about Captain Salazar!
Henry Turner learns of the legend of Poseidon’s trident. Apparently, it can break his father’s curse! Meanwhile, Carina Smyth is on her own mission to find the trident. They meet up and decide to work together in pursuit of the fabled artifact.
- Johnny Depp/Captain Jack Sparrow
- Javier Bardem/Captain Salazar
- Brenton Thwaites/Henry Turner
- Kaya Scodelario/Carina Smyth
- Kevin R. McNally/Pirate Gibbs
- Golshifteh Farahani/Witch Shansa
- David Wenham/Royal Navy Lt. Scarfield
- Stephen Graham/Pirate Scrum
- Geoffrey Rush/Captain Barbossa
Family Viewing Disclaimer (1/low – 5/high scale):
My 12-year old daughter has just started showing interest in lower-end PG-13 movies. She prefers more light-hearted entertainment with more comedy and action, than drama. She is still selective about her movie choices. [Click here for my review on DOCTOR STRANGE for more of her exact tolerance at this developmental stage.] Whenever I am not sure if she will enjoy a movie or not, I show her the trailer, and we discuss if she is curious enough to give it a chance.
1 – NUDITY/SEX – This PG-13 movie shows a single scene of:
* Captain Jack in his underwear, without his pants
* a woman removing her outer dress to dive into the water
3 – VIOLENCE/GORE – This is an action/adventure movie about grungy zombie/ghost pirates. Although there is little blood, there are many scenes with fighting, stabbing, and an intense zombie shark attack. I would rate this lower than Marvel superhero movies.
2 – PROFANITY – the few words used include: ‘shit’, ‘hell’ and ‘damn’
True and Official MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sequences of adventure violence, mayhem and destruction, some suggestive content and for frightening and disturbing images.
For more Pirates of the Caribbean, click on these articles:
Check back here at “According to Stella” for the latest entertainment news, and Follow/Like PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES on Twitter * Facebook * Instagram * official PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES website
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES opens in theaters everywhere May 26th.